Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Book Review

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (Dead Things, #1)


Title: Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
Author: Martina McAtee
Rating: 
Release Date: August 31, 2015
Published: Self-Published
Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy
Page Count: 510
Stalk the Author: WebsiteFBTwitterInstagram
Buy:AmazonB&N


Synopsis:

17 year old Ember Denning has made an art of isolating herself. She prefers the dead. She spends her days skipping school in old cemeteries and her nights hiding from her alcoholic father at the funeral home where she works. When her own father dies, Ember learns her whole life is a lie. Standing in the cemetery that’s been her sanctuary, she’s threatened by the most beautiful boy she’s ever seen and rescued by two people who claim to be her family. They say she’s special, that she has a supernatural gift like them…they just don’t know exactly what it is. 

They take her to a small Florida town, where Ember’s life takes a turn for the weird. She’s living with her reaper cousins, an orphaned werewolf pack, a faery and a human genius. Ember’s powers are growing stronger, morphing into something bigger than anything anybody anticipated. Ember has questions but nobody has answers. Nobody knows what she is. They only know her mysterious magical gift is trying to kill them and that beautiful dangerous boy from the cemetery may be the only thing standing between her and death. 

As Ember’s talents are revealed so are the secrets her father hid and those in power who would seek to destroy her. What’s worse, saving Ember has put her cousins in danger and turned her friend’s lives upside down. Ember must learn to embrace her magic or risk losing the family she’s pieced together


My Thoughts:

Where do I even begin! This book had me hooked from the first chapter; I don't know why I took so long to pick it up from my review copies. It has everything you would want in a paranormal read! Reapers, werewolves, witches, reanimators, necromancers, shifters and freaking SOUL EATERS! 



This book is told in four different points of views. We have our main character, Ember who was always felt like she doesn't belong, until the day she meets her two cousins and discovers that she is part of a family with supernatural powers that she herself was oblivious to. I absolutely loved Embers development in this book she really learned how to cope with her powers and how to be more open with and about her feelings. Our second character is Kai, I immediately connected with Kai, he has an enormous heart and does thinks without thinking especially when it comes to his family and I absolutley loved that about him. Our third character is Tristin, I liked Tristin, but I did find her a little irritating; I know her heart is in the right place, but she can be a little condescending. Our fourth character and my favorite, my new boyfriend would be Mace, oh Mace had me since I read his first sentence! I don't even care that he is the "villain" I know that deep down he cares and is a big teddy bear, lol.


I adored every second of this book!! I couldn't get enough and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. The author really took me on a ride that I did not want to end and that I can’t wait to get back on to. The world building was very well done and the character development was outstanding. Did I say how phenomenal all the characters were?! I fell in love with every single one of them even the supporting characters. The ending was such a shocker and I did NOT see it coming, I had to read it several times just to make sure I was reading it right!! Like I said above I just can't wait to get my hands on the sequel and see where the author takes me. If you have yet to pick this series up, I highly recommend it! The covers are gorgeous, the story is different and the plot is AH-MA-ZING


-SandraTheBookWorm



No comments:

Post a Comment