Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Star-Touched Queen

Book Review!

The Star-Touched Queen

Title: The Star-Touched Queen
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Rating: 
Date Published: April 26, 2016
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: Fantasy YA
Page Count: 342
Stalk the Author: WebsiteTwitter



Synopsis:

Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire…

But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself.


My Thoughts:

This book was PHENOMENAL!! Just the writing alone blew me away, I'm still in awe of the authors beautiful writing and in shock that this is her debut novel. I want, no I need more of this beautiful story and this magnificent characters; I refuse to believe that it is a 
standalone. 

Maya has been born with a cursed horoscope; a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, because of this she is feared by everyone in the Kingdom even by her father the Raja himself. When her father decides to arrange a wedding for Maya for political convenience her world comes crashing down, but none the less Maya becomes Queen of Akaran and the wife of mysterious Amar.


Gosh, I absolutely adored this book, I just couldn't get enough; the world building was so beautifully done and I really enjoyed how the author brought mythology and Indian folklore together, she did it so brilliantly. Maya is such a strong character and goes through a lot of development as the book progresses, with that said, I did find her a little naive and irritating through the middle of the book I just wanted to go in there and shake her around until she came into her senses. Amar, is one of the reasons I didn't give this book five stars and not because I didn't like him, but because I wanted so much more of him and his backstory and I feel the author didn't seem to give enough of him; I absolutely loved Amar the way he treated Maya had me swooning all over the place, I really hope we get a novella about him. This book hit me with a twist towards the very end that I did not see coming and that made me sit in the edge of my seat until the very end. Overall this book in my opinion is a masterpiece that everyone should pick up!   





Favorite Quote from Book!
"I make this bond to you in blood not flowers. Come with me and you shall be my empress with the moon for your throne and constellations to wear on your hair. Come with me and I promise you that we will always be equals."

-SandraTheBookWorm



No comments:

Post a Comment